12.13.2010

Miscellany and Sundry

This is a mish-mash post full of random un-connected thoughts.

First and for most,  I saw my first ninja!  He might have been a samurai, but I think he was a ninja.  Either way, I swear he walked out of the pages of some manga!  I was waiting for my train, listening to music and generally paying little attention to anything.  I catch a swift movement out of the corner of my eye and turn to look.  There walking with a grace, and purpose I have never seen before is the most beautiful, tall Japanese man I have ever seen.  His face is half hidden by a scarlet scarf, that sits up of it's own accord.  Most of his suit is covered by a sleek black cape, that's right a cape, and all that you can see are his shiny black leather shoes.  He glides past me, all elegant and billowy and it takes every ounce of self control that I have to not turn and follow him.  He is like a character from a dream.  He strides up to the front of the train and perches himself next to the conductor.  His hand emerges from his cape and I image that he has a pocket watch, but it was likely a cell phone.  I need to catch my breath, even now as I am remembering him.  I wish I had enough cerebral power to take out my camera, or phone and get a picture.  But I was dumbstruck.  I'm somewhat surprised that I even made it onto the train!  The vision of that man, alone, has made by trip to Japan worth every second!

I wanted to take this opportunity to tell you all a little bit about why you should come and visit me, while I'm in Japan.  I'm sure a lot of you would like to see Japan, but are worried about the expense.  Well, now's the time to visit, because you know someone who lives there, and thus can cut accommodation costs out of your budget.  I live in a fairly central part of Japan, so everything is quite accessible from here.  Osaka is a smaller, edgier city than Tokyo, but should you need to visit Tokyo it is only 2 hours away by Shinkensen.  Kobe and Kyoto are less than 1 hour away and make for excellent day trips.  Hiroshima and Fukuoka are 2 hrs away and Hokkaido is about 3 hrs away.  Kansai airport has flights to Okinawa or if you are more sea inclined, there is also a ferry that can take you there.  You have seen my apartment and more or less understand the layout.  I have an extra set of keys and as of last week, an extra futon set that I purchased specifically for guests.  It is a full futon set, with blanket and pillow and was a pain to carry home.  As you can see from the picture.  Furthermore, if I know you are coming, I may be more inclined to really learn the language.  As, I will want to show you around and take you out for good eats.  There are a lot of good eats in the Osaka area.

  There are also interesting things to see right in Kawanishi City.  This is a picture of a mosaic mural that I walk past every day on my way to the city centre.  There are interesting buildings and a descent amount of shopping.  Although if you really want to shop we would go into Osaka.  On the left is a picture I took just the other day, so even in December there are beautiful flowers and sunny days.  Really, if you can, you should come and stay with me a while.  It will be fun. 


 

3 comments:

Wanderlost said...

Great Pics!

Janice said...

Okay...now where are the pics of the ninja...PLEASE SEND:)

Travelling.bee said...

No pictures of the ninja :(
Mental facilities were compromised...