3.18.2011

I'm still okay

I promised an update, and it was going to be a photo post of my time in Hiroshima.  However, I felt that I should reassure everyone as to my well being.

Life has gone back to it's regular routine for me, now that I am back in Osaka.  I have to work, I come home and the weather has even taken a change for the worse and gone back to cold.  I don't watch Japanese TV so I am not aware of everything that is happening.  However, amidst some hints and requests that I should be making my way back to Canada, I decided to check out some Canadian news programs to see what information you all are receiving.  I can now understand the concern.

The situation in the North is very serious and quite frankly, pretty frightening.  But I am quite a bit further South.  In fact, people who are leaving the Tokyo area seem to be heading to Osaka.  I heard that most of the foreign journalists are here now and the Austrian Embassy has moved as well.  I am even a little further South than Osaka, and unlike Osaka I am inland. 

I appreciate all the warm wishes and concerns for my well being, but I believe that I will be safe and thus intend to continue my time here in Japan.  I know some of my friends are leaving, but mostly these plans were made well in advance of the current situation and it may have only prompted a slightly earlier departure for some. 

Should events change and I become concerned for my well being, I will be sure to let you know when my flight leaves.  But, keep in mind that I am pretty stubborn and I am not prone to panicking about things. :)  Just to show you how okay I am, here's a pic of me eating some strange food.  Unfortunately, I am very tired in this pic, but I am enjoying the night out!

I'm enjoying pickled wasabi octopus!

3 comments:

Wanderlost said...

Thanks so much for the update Babe. I knew you were not going to run away, that wouldn't be you! I was talking to a lady here who has a grandaughter who was living in Tokyo and moved to Osaka for the time being. Canadians are a fearless folk indeed. Take care.

Gord said...

Hey there Babes
Glad to hear all is well. Now Lisa can breathe easier. She has been stressing out since this all happened. Enjoy the strange eats and let me know what I should try. Should we ever get out that way sometime. Love ya
Lator Gator
Gord

Janice said...

Stubborn girl...not that I thought you would leave!!! Ha ha! But I know you and know you can take care of yourself...just know we still worry!!! And will continue until you are home....whether a disaster is pending or not!!! You are in a foreign country, a long, long ways from home...so we will always worry....just a little. Very happy to hear you are well and far enough away from the crisis that many in Japan are facing today. Our thoughts and prayers are with those not as fortunate. Let us know if you need anything Brenda and if there is any way we can help. The images are very frightening and breathtaking...and the heart and spirit of people are ever-inspiring! Take care of yourself Brenda...we miss you. Pickled wasabi octopus....hmmm....I have had octopus before and is not my favourite seafood...kudos to you for being willing to try it! Better you than me....lol.